New SBIR Advance eligibility requirements for 2019.
View the Phase 1 Match Fall 2019 Course Schedule Here
Read more about Karen Caswelch's, SciArt Software's CEO, SBIR Advance experience and her discovery of tactics that assisted SciArt Software's commercialization efforts.
Use of Funds:
WEDC created the SBIR Advance program to provide state match funding, training, and other resources to Wisconsin businesses to advance the commercialization of SBIR/STTR-funded technology and expedite economic and job creation impact in Wisconsin. The program aims to fill critical funding gaps for activities such as market research, customer validation, patent development, business model development, and regulatory assessment restricted under federal awards.
SBIR Advance grants are used for commercialization activities that accelerate business development and improve company opportunities for Phase 2 and Phase 3 federal awards and for investor funding. For details, please contact CTC’s Dr. Todd Strother.
Companies with a current/recent Phase 1 SBIR/STTR award may be eligible to apply for a Phase 1 Match Grant. Companies with a current/recent Phase 2 SBIR/STTR award may be eligible to apply for a Phase 2 Match Grant. WEDC gives preference to companies that are early stage and have won only one (1) Phase 2 award. Companies with more than three SBIR/STTR Phase 2 awards are not eligible for SBIR Advance.
To receive cash awards, awardees complete commercialization milestones designed to accelerate business development. Depending upon Phase 1 or Phase 2 match funding, activities will include completion of Lean Startup training, an approved commercialization plan or funding strategy, regulatory plan, or similar assessment as defined by the business need. Below is an overview of cash awards and associated milestones.
SBIR/STTR Phase 1 and 2 Match Milestones
Phase 1 award match: Matches 50% up to $75K of Phase 1 SBIR or STTR awards. Grants paid upon completion of milestones including: 1) Lean Startup training and customer development; 2) Completed draft commercialization plan; and 3) Successsful submission of Phase 2 SBIR/STTR proposal and any final deliverables requried by CTC.
Phase 2 award match: Matches up to $100K per year for up to 2 years of Phase 2 SBIR/STTR award. Grants paid upon completion of milestones mostly described by the company and approved by the selection committee. CTC may include limited programming in support of Phase 2 - Phase 3 discovery. Companies must apply each year for a $100K Phase 2 Match Grant. Eligible companies can apply for a second year Match Grant after they have completed the first year match milestones. Companies with less than 1 year left on a Phase 2 award can apply for only one year ($100K) of Match Grant.
The following companies are eligible to apply for the SBIR/STTR Matching Grant:
- Phase 1 Match Grant – Current/recent SBIR/STTR Phase 1 awardees that are Wisconsin based small businesses that are eligible for and intend to proceed to Phase 2, and
- Are currently conducting a Phase 1 SBIR project, or
- Have completed a Phase 1 project within the past 12 months AND are still eligible to submit a Phase 2 proposal.
- Companies that previously won more than three Phase 2 SBIR/STTR awards in the last 4 years should not apply for a Phase 1 Match Grant. These companies may apply for a Phase 2 Match if they are still eligible.
Phase 1 applicants must identify a commercial team of at least 3 active participants including company senior leadership, and agree to participate in all sessions of the Lean Startup Training Program outlined below which starts on or around February 4, 2019.
- Phase 2 Match Grant – Phase 2 awardees having received no more than three Phase 2 awards AND with a current award end date after March 1, 2019.
- Applicants who have both a current Phase 1 and Phase 2 award should apply for a Phase 2 match.
- Applicants who have a previous Phase 2 SBIR Advance Match grant award must complete the first Match grant milestones before applying for a second Phase 2 Match grant. These applicants must include a description of the first SBIR Advance Match grant milestones and accomplishments and a justification for a second year of Match grant funding.
- Please contact Todd Strother to discuss eligibility to use SBIR Advance funds to match Phase 2B or other federal SBIR/STTR funding programs.
- Phase 2 Match applicants must agree to participate in up to three Investor Readiness Workshops presented by CTC as part of the SBIR Advance program.
If you have questions about eligibility please contact Dr. Todd Strother.
SBIR Advance Solicitation Schedule:
Solicitation Annoucement - mid June 2019
Letter of Intent due - August 1, 2019
Full Application due - August 15, 2019
View the Fall 2019 Course Schedule Here
SBIR Advance Application Guidelines:
Contact Dr. Todd Strother (email@example.com) with any questions.