New SBIR Advance Solicitation Now Open:
Intent to Apply Due 12:00 PM August 2, 2018
Full submission due 12:00 PM August 16, 2018
Use of Funds:
WEDC created the SBIR Advance program to provide state match funding, training, and other resources to Wisconsin businesses to advance the commercialization of SBIR/STTR-funded technology and expedite economic and job creation impact in Wisconsin. The program aims to fill critical funding gaps for activities such as market research, customer validation, patent development, business model development, and regulatory assessment restricted under federal awards.
SBIR Advance grants are used for commercialization activities that will accelerate business development and improve company opportunities for Phase 2 and Phase 3 federal awards and for investor funding. For details, please contact CTC’s Dr. Todd Strother.
Companies with a current Phase 1 SBIR/STTR award may be eligible to apply for a Phase 1 Match Grant. Companies with a current Phase 2 SBIR/STTR award may be eligible to apply for a Phase 2 Match Grant. WEDC gives preference to companies that are early stage and have won only one (1) Phase 2 award. Companies with more than two SBIR/STTR Phase 2 awards are not eligible for SBIR Advance.
To receive cash awards, awardees complete commercialization milestones designed to accelerate business development. Depending upon Phase 1 or Phase 2 match funding, activities will include completion of Lean Startup training, an approved commercialization plan or funding strategy, regulatory plan, or similar assessment as defined by the business need. Below is an overview of cash awards and associated milestones.
SBIR/STTR Phase 1 and 2 Match Milestones
- Phase 1 award match: Matches 50% up to $75K of Phase 1 SBIR or STTR awards. Grants will be paid out upon completion of Lean Startup training and customer development deliverables by a company team approved by CTC, completion of an approved draft commercialization plan, and upon successful submission of Phase 2 SBIR/STTR proposal as well as any final reporting required by CTC.
- Phase 2 award match: Matches up to $75K per year for up to 2 years of Phase 2 SBIR/STTR award. Awards will be paid out upon completion of designated milestones. Companies must apply each year for a $75K Phase 2 Match Grant. Eligible companies can apply for a second year Match Grant after they have completed the first year match milestones. Companies with less than 1 year left on a Phase 2 award can apply for only one year ($75K) of Match Grant.
The following outlines eligibility requirements for SBIR Advance grants. Note that preference will be given to early stage companies that are first time SBIR/STTR awardees.
- Current or recent SBIR/STTR Phase 1 awardees who are Wisconsin based small businesses and are eligible for and intend to proceed to Phase 2
- Current first-time or second time Phase 2 awardees with no less than 6 months before award end date
- Companies that have won more than two Phase 2 SBIR or STTR awards are currently not eligible for the SBIR Advance program.
- If you have questions about eligibility please contact Dr. Todd Strother.
SBIR Advance Solicitation Schedule:
**If this is the first time applying for one of CTC's grants or if you've applied but BEFORE July 2017, you must create a new account on our grant management system.
**If you have applied for one of our grants since July of 2017, you already created an account. Please use that same login information when applying for SBIR Advance.
View the Fall 2018 Course Schedule Here
SBIR Advance Application Guidelines:
Contact Dr. Todd Strother (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.