Micro-grants are a great first-tranche source of funding
The Center for Technology Commercialization manages a series of micro-grants of up to $9,000 (per small business) on behalf of the Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation (WEDC). Once we have determined if this is beneficial to you, you can apply either for an SBIR/STTR Assistance micro-grant or a Business/Commercialization micro-grant to obtain the services of our qualified Service Providers. The CTC micro-grants are staged in smaller tranches so that you can accomplish the necessary milestones for your project plan.
- Up to $4,500 per micro grant (up to $9,000) per small business per company to reimburse payment(s) to a CTC-approved service provider.
- Those starting or expanding a technology-based or research oriented business or a firm located in Wisconsin that relies on use of technology.*
Note: Some applicants may qualify for special status and may receive up to two (2) micro-grants of each type. Previous recipients of a WEN Early Planning Grant (EPG), Technology Assistance Grant (TAG), or Technology Assistance Grant SBIR (TAG-SBIR) may qualify to receive this special status. To determine if your company is eligible to receive a second micro-grant, please contact a CTC consultant.
- Development of an SBIR/STTR Phase I or Phase II proposal or other federal funding proposal
- Development of an SBIR/STTR Phase II Commercialization Plan or a comprehensive business plan
- Procurement of a CTC-approved market research study in support of a commercialization or business plan
- Contact the Center for Technology Commercialization (CTC) for intake and assessment including the creation of a Business Model Canvas with a formal request for a meeting.
- Submit an online application either for an SBIR/STTR Assistance micro-grant or a Business/Commercialization micro-grant
- Business Model Canvas (see a CTC Consultant for assistance)
- Quote for support from an approved CTC Service Provider
- SBIR/STTR Phase I technical proposal, or other funding proposal, or
- SBIR/STTR Phase II technical proposal, or other funding proposal, or
- SBIR/STTR Phase II Commercialization Plan, or
- Comprehensive business plan with three-to-five year financial projections
- Confirmation of full payment to CTC-approved Service Provider
*Examples of projects eligible for funding:
Energy and Biofuels
Instruments and Controls
Chemical and Environmental Technologies
Apply for your Micro-grant and Next Steps
To apply for a micro-grant:
1) Contact a CTC consultant to determine if your project is eligible for a CTC micro-grant.
2) Select your Service Provider and obtain a quote from them for the scope of work they will complete.
3) If you do not already have a user name in our grant management system create a new user account and submit an application either for an SBIR/STTR Assistance micro-grant or a Business/Commercialization micro-grant.
4) Work with your CTC consultant and your approved Service Provider to complete your micro-grant deliverables.
**Applying for a micro-grant and working with a grant writer is the right track to be on at this point in your pursuit of an SBIR. How do you stay on that track? Let CTC be your assistant and send you calendar reminders to alert you of funding deadlines, program opportunities and more. Learn more.