There are many reasons to consider tapping America’s Seed Fund to fund your business.
Here are top ten reasons:
- There are 11 federal agencies including NIH, DOD, NASA, NSF, USDA, DOE that are providing ~$2.5 Billion annually for early stage seed funding earmarked for small businesses developing new and innovative technologies.
- Up to ~$1.7M is available directly to small technology businesses to research and develop innovative technology. And multiple awards are possible growing this number into the $millions.
- The funding covers a broad range of opportunities each year: ~5000 SBIR/STTR awards, ~70 solicitations, ~1500 topics. So there is a good chance that there is something relevant for you.
- This is non-dilutive early stage. Since these are federal grants or contracts, owners and investors in your business benefit from significant capital without giving up equity. But it’s not free -- you do need to work for it.
- The SBIR/STTR program allows you to build Intellectual Property that you own.
- The program gives you the means to build key technical staff.
- SBIR/STTR is a vehicle to leverage other’s Facilities, Equipment and Expertise and to Build Relationships With Federal Agencies, National Labs, universities, and research and manufacturing companies.
- A peer-reviewed Federal award demonstrates credibility to investors, partners, and customers.
- The funding is used to develop new products or services for sale commercially, internationally. The award establishes a sole-source marketing position with government – THIS IS A TECHNOLOGY COMMERCIALIZATION PROGRAM.
- The process is worth it for the customer development learning you acquire, the strategies you develop, the planning you do, and the people and partners you meet.